Monday, March 17, 2008

CRYPTOZOOLOGY




Well In between feedings and changings I've managed to do some sketches for the Crammed Organisms show. I've put Hansel on hold because I need to get going on these four pieces for this show since it is first. Since the theme of the Crammed Organisms show is Fairytales, Folktales & Folklore I've decided to do pieces based on local folklore. The scientific term for these creatures is CRYPTOZOOLOGY, meaning the study of evidence tending to substantiate the existence of, or the search for, creatures whose reported existence is unproved, as the Abominable Snowman or the Loch Ness monster. Here are sketches of two of them. The blue guy is Momo or the Missouri monster and the orange guy is the Ozark Howler. I'll tell you more about their stories later. I'm thinking these pieces will be hangable in a shadowbox. So the pieces won't be super three dimensional but a little more flat. I like the idea of plush hanging on walls rather than standing on your shelf where they just get lost. I think if I stick to these colors they will really pop against the black background of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment