Thursday, January 12, 2012

CLOTHES PIN MARY POPPINS



After seeing a clothes pin doll of Mary Poppins on Pintrest I knew that's what I wanted to make for the top of my daughter's birthday cake.

I didn't realize how popular these clothes pin doll cake toppers were. There are some great ones on Etsy by LittleBun and TinyBlossoms. I love the wedding cake toppers created by Sarah Neuburger of The Small Object. Love the costumization and attention to detail!



I had a lot of fun making this. I kept thinking of a ton of other things to add to it but decided to keep it pretty simple. I'll definitely be making more. It'll be a great project to do with my daughter and a great way to use all those fabric scraps I have laying around.

The wooden clothes pins, heads (wooden balls), and bases can be bought at any hobby store.



I noticed that most of the clothes pin dolls I found all had painted hair. I decided I wanted yarn hair. It was a little tricky. I drew the on the hair line and used Tacky glue, works much better than Elmers, to attach yarn.  I think the yarn hair gives it an extra texture and gives you more choices of hair styles. The key is to find a thin yarn. Sock yarn would work well.

4 comments:

  1. hello, robyn!
    my dear friend is doing a mary poppins party for her soon-to-be 6 year old, and she came across your lovely invitation (google images...love/hate relationship there!). well, when she showed it to me, i felt as though i should know the artist. with a few clicks, we ended up here, and i quickly realized that i did 'know' you. :) i recognized your incredibly wonderful plushes from plushyou!!! anyway, all of that to tell you that you have thoroughly inspired both of us. verena threw out the idea of a carousel cake once she saw your cake, and i am going to try (fingers crossed) a needle felted version of your abso-freaking-lutely sweet clothespin poppins. thank you for being such an inspiration!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I've inspired you! Good luck on your party planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again, Robyn! I'll be sure to share photos when she's done. Um, I'd better get busy as the party is three days. Nothing like the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this last year but it's April again! Your cake topper looks amazing!!! And many thanks for the kind compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete