Thursday, February 16, 2012

SIMPLICITY PATTERN 2238 REVIEW



Simplicity 2238

 

Pattern Description:
Childs dress / tunic / pants

Pattern Size: Size 4

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were easy.

 What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The fabric flowers are what drew me to this pattern.

Fabric Used:
cotton – Joann Fabrics
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I only added one ruffle on the bottom of the skirt and didn’t leave the  edges raw. I cut the ruffle twice as wide and finished the edges before gathering.

Only added one flower on one of the tunics.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes.

Conclusion:

The tunic is a bit wide if you're making this for a very thin child. As am I.   I probably should have cut a 3 in width and a 4 in length. But at least my outcome wasn't to small. My daughter will grow into it. The tunic looks great with a long or short sleeve shirt under it. It doesn't have to strictly be a summer dress or tunic. I can see making this pattern out of a pinwale corduroy.

I loved adding the flowers. I even added some yoyo flowers to the last tunic.

These too look great with capri leggings.





2 comments:

  1. I just completed this tunic for my daughter and it is huge! I'm not an expert seamstress, however I don't think I erred that drastically. I cut a size 3 based on her measurements - she's off the charts in height and weight - and she's swimming in it. Your versions are adorable - and I'm impressed that you made more than one. Can you tell me if you've tried making a smaller width and longer length? If so, did the finished garment fit better? Thanks for sharing! Not much info out there on this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say it was a little big under the arms. This particular pattern I cut out the four. With some other patterns I've cut out a 4 in width and 5 in length. That seems to fit her a bit better. You might try doing that. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete