Sunday, June 10, 2007

SURFACE DESIGN CONFERENCE




Last week I had the pleasure to attend the Surface Design Conference at the Kansas City Art Institute. Again another fun thing I got to do because of work. I would never have been able to attend something like that on my own because it's pretty expensive. I felt a bit out of my element. These people are hard core Fiber artists that ranged from clothing designers to gallery installation artists. I've always found textiles interesting and have done nothing close to this kind of work. It wasn't until recently that I even dyed and printed my own fabric. It's an area that I'd love to know more but don't even know where I'd start. Luckily I was able to keep up with vocabulary.
I took a workshop called Fabric Manipulation that lasted all week. It was very intense and very informative. The week just flew by because I was so busy. As a result I was exhausted by the time I got home and was to tired to do any of my own work or post anything here. So I thought I'd post a few pics of what I worked on last week. Based on the photos it just looks like I did a bunch of ribbon work but it was more than that. It really was an exploration of how to do pleats, gathers, folds, stitching, etc. All different kinds of trims and fabric manipulations that have been used for hundreds of years in ffashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment