Monday, September 20, 2010


Took a while to finish. I'm feeling a bit under the weather. The dress hits my legs about mid lowere leg. This is so my black and green tights and ankle boots can be seen.

Sunday, September 12, 2010


I finished up the bodice of the witch costume. The dress is made from Simplicity pattern 4136. See what I meant when I said the bodice looked a bit boring. I added ribbon detailing to the puff sleeves and ribbon down the center of the chest. For the main part of the dress I used a a light weight ribbed corduroy.

Kinda' boring.

Here's a pic of the bodice with the vest. It's really looking awesome now. All the different kinds of material really give dimension to the dress. I decided the neck needed a brooch. I used some left over ribbon, feathers and I found some awesome skull buttons.

Saturday, September 11, 2010


I've officially started working on Halloween costumes for this year. Our family costume theme this year is Star Wars, but I decided to make a witch costume too. I've had this pattern for over 4 years. In fact the image on the pattern envelope is different from mine. I'm guessing they updated it this year or last.

The pattern is very easy. I actually found it to be a bit boring in looks. I decided it needed a corset like vest that will go over the dress. I found Simplicity pattern 5582, a Renaissance pattern, that had a nice vest that didn't require me to use boning.

I had a really hard time taking this picture. Taking a picture of a black garment is not easy. I used a thick ribbed black corduroy,  it feels like velvet.

Here's a close up of where you can get a better view of the front. I'll have to take a picture of the lining. I used some Halloween plaid material I had left over from last year.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tuesday, September 7, 2010


I had a very productive holiday weekend. I finished up my Snow Cone guys and started working on Halloween costumes. Those pics will come soon.

I made a total of four snow cones. Each have a different glittery colored stand. To make the stands I spray painted them the same color as the glitter. Then I sprayed them with spray glue, poured on the glitter and used a small paint brush to get the glitter into corners. Once the stands were covered I shook off all the loose glitter and then sprayed them with a generous amount of clear coat spray. The clear coat helps keep the glitter from flaking off. I love how they turned out. I used this same technique a few months ago to cover a larger plaque that holds a cuckoo clock for my daughters room. I decided then I'd cover some stands for plush in the future. I thought the glittery stands went well with the snow cones.

The glitter I used is the fine glitter made by Martha Stewart. I believe its only available at Michaels. There must be about 30 different colors to choose from.