Monday, January 23, 2012

MARY POPPINS DRESS



Below is my take on a child's version of a Mary Poppins dress.



I choose a white cotton eyelet fabric. Bodice and skirt are lined with a white cotton fabric. I could have gone with a satin, sheer or lacey material, but decided on cotton because of the durability. After all it is for a 4 year old.

I simplified the look a bit. Decided to not add the high collar. I could see complaints of itchiness around the neck being an issue. Went with a short sleeve instead of the 3/4 length sleeve and also left off the frilly collar/chest piece. If I had been making the dress for myself I would have gone all out to recreate the look. But on a 4 year old I think it would be a bit much.



The red corset/cumberbun is detachable. It is secured with velcro in the back.



I used Simplicity pattern 2989 in a size 4 width and size 5 in length.

 

4 comments:

  1. I just saw this on the Simplicity facebook page. It is soooo cute! Mary Poppins is one of my all time favorite movies. I love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters too. Her other favorite movie is Meet Me in St. Louis. I love that she's almost 4 and loves old classic movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how much and does it come in a size 6?

    thanks amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not for sale.

    ReplyDelete