Friday, February 12, 2010

FUNCTIONAL PLUSH



For the longest time I've been thinking about plush that could be functional. It's nice to have one on a shelf but it would be even better if it had another purpose other than just looking really cool. Pillows can easily be a functional plushy but I wanted to come up with something else, something really useful, something I'd actually use.

So I was cleaning up my studio area last night, I mean REALLY cleaning, and I stumbled across this, doodle I did a while ago. These are doodles I did of ribbon/bow holders for little girld hairbows. I have quite a few little bows and loose ribbons that I put in my daughters hair that are just shoved in her drawer.  Of course these ribbons and bows don't usually last in her hair past mid morning, but someday she'll keep them in. Anyway...I went searching for ribbon holders and didn't quite find anything I liked. I remember when I was little I had a bow holder, made by my mom, that hung on the wall very similar to my doodle. I had all my barrettes and bows attached to the braids that were made out of yarn. So I'm attempting to recreate this in my style.

Last night I started working on the girl with the braids. I got the head sewn together and the braid done. Right now I just have it pinned to the head and it looks pretty cute. I'll sew it on tonight and start the face. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight and see how well it holds the bows and ribbons I have. I'll post a pic of it when it's done.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,
    I was surfing through your flicker for the first time and decided to check out your blog. I've seen your work before (it's amazing), and I'm happy to see that we think alike! I started brainstorming some functional plush ideas a little while ago too. I love this bow holder, it's too cute!

    ReplyDelete