Tuesday, January 11, 2011

18″ DOLL CLOTHES



So one of my many projects is complete. I've been working on a set of doll clothes for my daughter for her 3rd bday. She'll be getting this 18" madame Alexander doll too. She's not yet ready for an Am. Girl doll and I think they are a bit pricey.

I was able to use up a lot of fabric scraps I had laying around, which was nice. I hate parting with a descent size scrap. Now I have a use for them. I bought a few doll patterns but mostly used the original Am. Girl clothing patterns that you could purchase back in the 90's. Now not available. I found PDF's of them here. It might seem really tedious to some to make doll clothing, but I found it really enjoyable. To me it was kind of like mini costumes.

Next project i to finish up the bedding for the doll and make a doll storage box.





:::click image and then click image again to see larger:::

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That brought back so many memories! These patterns are how I learned to sew back in my childhood when they first came out. My mom bought them and she would teach me to make them. I remember making them all through elementary school! They are also what got me obsessed with historical clothing and pic my career, Costume design. I have long lost these patterns, so thank you for posting the link! I am going to make these patterns for my nieces! I was so excited to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad someone else can use the link too. I too was super excited when I came across it. I so wish I had gone into Costume design instead of Illustration. I wish I had discovered that love when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little girl's dolly "trousseau" has left me speechless. I know she's still little, but I hope that she will treasure these for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's going to love it, I know. She drools over the Am. Girl doll magazine all the time. She's very aware that Mommy and Daddy are artists and make things for her. For being not quite three, she amazingly takes care of her toys. She's a very gentle kid. I hope someday that we can make doll clothes together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to COVET those American Girls patterns when I was a little girl. I sewed back then (badly) but though I could have a crack at making that type of thing (never mind that I didn't have an American Girl Doll, either).

    I downloaded the PDFs a while back,but I don't have anyone to make them for. My niece is 12-going-0n-27.

    I like the wardrobe you did up for your daughter's dolls. The Addie Christmas Dress is particularly ace.

    ReplyDelete